The ASCI is pleased to call for nominations for the 2018 Donald Seldin~Holly Smith Award for Pioneering Research. The Award seeks to recognize and connect the next generation of physician-scientist leaders with the legacies of two of the ASCI’s most esteemed members, Drs. Donald W. Seldin and Lloyd H. “Holly” Smith Jr.
For the Award, the ASCI seeks nominations of outstanding physician-scientists who have demonstrated exceptional creativity and accomplishments in biomedical research. The ideal nominee:
- is an early-stage, clinically active physician-scientist addressing fundamental questions that relate to human health and disease, and
- shows great promise in biomedicine.
The recipient of the Seldin~Smith Award will receive an unrestricted grant of $30,000 to advance academic efforts. S/he will be recognized at the 2018 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting, deliver a research talk at the 2019 Joint Meeting, and receive mentoring from the members of the Seldin~Smith Award Selection Committee and Advisory Committee.
- MD (or the equivalent) or MD/PhD;
- The candidate should be more than 2 years but not more than 6 years from first faculty (or the equivalent) appointment at the time of acceptance in April 2018;
- The candidate spends substantial time in research while providing direct patient care.
This competition is not restricted to any geographic location.
Physician-scientists should apply directly by sending nominations by email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed nomination form, including:
- a summary of the nominee’s research (not to exceed 100 words)
- a description of the nominee’s most significant achievement (not to exceed 500 words).
- a list of the nominee’s three most significant publications and a short statement describing the significance of each publication (not to exceed 100 words each).
- Nominee’s agreement, if chosen as the recipient, to attend the 2018 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting (April 20-22) and the 2019 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting (April 5-7).
- PDFs of the nominee’s three most significant publications as listed in the nomination form.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae. Include only educational background, major awards, and peer-reviewed publications (do not include abstracts, grants, or meeting presentations).
- No more than two letters of support (as PDFs), one from the nominee’s primary mentor, the other ideally from an individual who is a recognized expert on the subject of the nominee’s research.
Notable dates and selection process
- Nomination deadline: November 10, 2017.
- Recipient will be notified by early 2018.
- Recipient will be recognized at the 2018 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting, April 20-22.
- Recipient will deliver a research talk at the 2019 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting, April 5-7.
The Seldin~Smith Award Selection Committee reviews nominations and selects finalists for further consideration. Members are: Mukesh K. Jain (Chair), Vivian G. Cheung, Elizabeth M. McNally, Stuart H. Orkin, and Charles L. Sawyers. Finalists are reviewed by the Seldin~Smith Award Advisory Committee members: Joseph L. Goldstein (Chair), Michael S. Brown, Arthur Weiss, Stanley B. Prusiner, and Robert J. Lefkowitz.
About the ASCI
Founded in 1908, the ASCI is home to physician-scientist leaders in academic medicine and industry across the world. The ASCI seeks to support the scientific efforts, educational needs, and clinical aspirations of physician-scientists to improve human health. The Society, based in the United States, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.