The Donald Seldin~Holly Smith Award for Pioneering Research
Call for nominations
The ASCI is pleased to call for nominations for the 2017 Donald Seldin~Holly Smith Award for Pioneering Research. The Award seeks to recognize and connect the next generation of physician-scientist leaders with the legacies of two of the ASCI’s most esteemed members, Drs. Donald W. Seldin and Lloyd H. “Holly” Smith Jr.
For the second annual Seldin~Smith Award, the ASCI seeks nominations of outstanding physician-scientists who have demonstrated exceptional creativity and accomplishments in biomedical research. The ideal nominee:
- is an early-stage, clinically active physician-scientist addressing fundamental questions that relate to human health and disease; and
- shows great promise in biomedicine.
The recipient of the Seldin~Smith Award will receive an unrestricted grant of $30,000 to advance academic efforts. S/he will deliver a research talk at the 2018 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting and receive mentoring from the members of the Seldin~Smith Award Selection Committee and Advisory Committee.
- The candidate must have an MD (or the equivalent) or MD/PhD;
- The candidate should be more than 2 years but not more than 6 years from first faculty (or the equivalent) appointment at the time of acceptance of the award in April 2017;
- The candidate spends substantial time in research while providing direct patient care.
This competition is not restricted to any geographic location.
Physician-scientists should apply directly by sending nominations by email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed nomination form, including:
- A summary of the nominee’s research (not to exceed 100 words)
- A description of the nominee’s most significant achievement (not to exceed 500 words).
- A list of the nominee’s three most significant publications and a short statement describing the significance of each publication (not to exceed 100 words each).
- Nominee’s agreement, if chosen as the recipient, to attend the AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting in 2017 (April 21-23) and 2018 (April 20-22).
- PDFs of the nominee’s three most significant publications as listed in the nomination form.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae. Include only educational background, major awards, and peer-reviewed publications (do not include abstracts, grants, or meeting presentations).
- No more than two letters of support (as PDFs), one from the nominee’s primary mentor, the other ideally from an individual who is a recognized expert on the subject of the nominee’s research.
Notable dates and selection process
- Nomination deadline: October 14, 2016.
- Recipient will be notified by early 2017.
- Recipient will be recognized at the 2017 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting, April 21-23.
- Recipient will deliver a research talk at the 2018 AAP/ASCI/APSA Joint Meeting, April 20-22.
The Seldin~Smith Award Selection Committee reviews nominations and selects finalists for further consideration. Members are: Mukesh K. Jain, Vivian G. Cheung, Elizabeth M. McNally, Stuart H. Orkin, and Charles L. Sawyers. Finalists are reviewed by the Seldin~Smith Award Advisory Committee members: Joseph L. Goldstein, Michael S. Brown, Arthur Weiss, Stanley B. Prusiner, and Robert J. Lefkowitz.