The American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) invites applications for the position of Editor in Chief of the Journal of Clinical Investigation (JCI). The JCI, one of the oldest and most respected biomedical journals, is renowned for publishing exemplary studies focused on the mechanistic basis and treatment of disease. The ASCI seeks a dynamic Editor in Chief who will lead a team of academic editors to sustain and strengthen the journal in the highly competitive publishing landscape.
Duties of the Editor
The Editor is responsible for: determining the scientific scope and content of the JCI; ensuring the quality and integrity of publications; assembling and leading an Editorial Board to handle research submissions; and meeting goals set by the ASCI Council and Publications Committee.
The selected candidate will serve on the ASCI Council and fulfill the responsibilities of a Council member during their tenure with the JCI. The term of office is 5 years and begins March 2022.
The Editor must provide a clear vision for the future scientific development of the JCI, with a particular emphasis on how the journal can expand its portfolio of high-impact research publications, such as clinical trials, translational studies, and cutting-edge genomics and bioinformatics research. The successful applicant should articulate a vision for attracting high-quality submissions to the journal. It is also important to ensure that JCI complements rather than competes with JCI Insight in the ASCI family of journals. The Editor works in collaboration with the Editorial Board, the JCI Executive Editor, the ASCI publishing staff, and the ASCI Publications Committee to set priorities for the journal.
Eligibility of the Editor and Editorial Board
To be considered for the position of Editor, a candidate must:
- be a member of the ASCI
- demonstrate a strong scientific record
For the proposed Editorial Board:
- At least two-thirds must be ASCI members (Active or Senior) in good standing
- Multi-institution applications are encouraged
- May 3, 2021: Letters of intent (LOI) due. The LOI only needs to include the name of the proposed Editor in Chief and their affiliated institution but does not need to specify details regarding the application. Applicants submitting LOI will receive an operational overview of the ASCI and JCI for use in developing full applications.
- August 2, 2021: Full applications due.
- September 15, 2021: Finalists for the Editor position determined.
- October 2021: Editor Selection Committee interviews finalists (date to be determined).
Full application requirements
The applicant should address the following areas in 5 or fewer single-spaced pages:
- Describe your vision for the scientific scope of manuscripts published in the journal under your leadership, including scientific areas you see as priorities for the JCI, potential new article categories (if applicable), and areas you see as opportunities for growth and increased impact.
- Provide details regarding proposed Editorial Board members.
- Describe how you will ensure that the team has the breadth to handle submissions across all specialties, including any areas of new or expanded emphasis for the journal.
- Describe how Clinical Medicine submissions will be encouraged and handled, including any Board members with specific expertise in clinical research and translational medicine. Clinical research expertise among the Editorial Board leadership is strongly encouraged.
- Specify Board members with expertise in -omics and bioinformatics, and any efforts that will be made to expand submissions in these areas
- Describe how the proposed Board will evaluate manuscripts and specific efforts to ensure scientific rigor, fair decisions, and timeliness.
- Describe your vision for attracting the best research submissions to the journal.
- In the event that you cannot complete the duration of the term, describe the process by which a candidate to replace the Editor in Chief would be identified (subject to approval by the Council and a vote by the membership).
In addition, the application must include a letter from each proposed Board member stating a commitment to the role.
Submitting letters of intent and applications
Address materials to Hossein Ardehali, MD, PhD, Chair, Editor Selection Committee, and send as an attachment to email@example.com.
Contact Sarah Jackson, Executive Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications
The Editor Selection Committee will review applications, interview candidates, and recommend a candidate to the ASCI Council, which then submits the recommendation to a vote of the Active segment of the ASCI membership.