Nominations for 2021 membership may be submitted through September 14, 2020, 11:59 pm Eastern. Proposers and supporters of nominations should review the Membership Nomination Guide carefully. Questions regarding nominations should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Membership Nomination Guide (PDF). This document should be reviewed for details about the process and to ensure a complete nomination. Note: The separate nomination form required in previous cycles has been eliminated, and the information is now requested during the online nomination process.
- Membership Nomination Support Template (for use by Seconders and General Supporters; Word document). This document provides a template for drafting nomination support. However, members are encouraged to submit scores and comments through their member accounts (this template matches the online form).
To ensure proper tracking of nominations, all information and documents must be supplied online.
- To begin, access your member account
- After you have logged in to your account, select the “Nominations” tab, then search the nominee database. Links will appear in search results to guide you in the next steps.
- Your nominee may already be in the ASCI database because the person was previously nominated or because a nomination or support form has been started for this nomination cycle.
Proposers: Proposers are responsible for ensuring that all information provided for the nomination is accurate and complete. New this cycle: Proposers may grant access to nominees to edit certain sections of the nomination. See the Membership Nomination Guide for details.
In their accounts, Proposers are able to identify those serving as Seconder and General Supporters of the nomination, although supporters need to provide comments via their own member accounts.
ASCI staff sends acknowledgment of submissions by email after they have been reviewed and found to be complete. Proposers can check the status of their submissions (nominations and support forms) online by accessing their member accounts.
Seconder and General Supporters: To draft and complete forms online, select the nominee from search results; or add the requested information about the nominee you are supporting. (General Supporters who are not ASCI members may complete the nomination support template and email it to email@example.com for handling.)
- Age criterion for Active and Foreign Associate nominees. Nominees in these categories must be age 50 or younger as of January 1, 2021.
- Exceptions to the age criterion cannot be made. Although the ASCI Council understands that a nominee’s progress may have been delayed because of unavoidable or extreme circumstances, the Council has on multiple occasions discussed exceptions and concluded from each discussion that no policy could be implemented fairly and durably.
- Limit on number of nominations per nominee. The number of nominations per nominee is limited to 3, provided the nominee is age 50 or younger as of January 1, 2021.
- Limit on number of nominations proposed, seconded, or supported. There is no limit to the number of nominations a member may propose or support (either as Seconder or General Supporter).
- PhD-only candidates. Active and Foreign Associate nominations are, per the ASCI’s bylaws, restricted to physicians.
- MD-equivalent candidates are eligible for nomination.
- Faculty appointment versus nominee’s country of residence. The distinction between Active and Foreign Associate nominations is made on the basis of residence, not faculty appointment. Active nominees must reside in the US or Canada. Candidates residing elsewhere should be nominated in the Foreign Associate category.